Table of Contents
Regulation of residence of foreigners in Egypt
Egypt grants residence permits to foreigners on its territory for various reasons and different periods of residence starting from one month to ten years. The types of foreigners’ residences in Egypt are numerous and their respective requirements vary. The Director of General Administration of Passports, immigration, and nationality sets out the necessary controls and documents for residence permits.
First: Types of residence of foreigners in Egypt:
1. Private residence.
2. Regular residence.
3. Temporary residence.
4. Investor’s residence.
Private residence of foreigners in Egypt:
Members of this category are licensed to reside for 10 years renewed upon application. The following conditions are required for granting special residence to foreigners:
- Foreigners born in Egypt before the date of publication of Decree-Law No. 74 of 1952 and whose residence has not been interrupted until the date of application of this law.
- Foreigners whose residence in the Arab Republic of Egypt was 20 years before the date of publication of Decree-Law No. 74 of 1952, whose residence had not been interrupted until the date of application of this law, and who had entered the country by legitimate means.
- Foreigners who have been residing in the Arab Republic of Egypt for more than five years and who have been regularly renewed until the date of application of this Act and who have entered the country legally, as well as foreigners who have been residing for more than five years on the same terms if in both cases they are engaged in useful work for the national economy or are performing scientific, cultural or artistic services to the country.
- Scientists, literature, art, industry, economics, and others who perform outstanding services to the country in respect of which a decision is issued by the Minister of the Interior.
Regular residence of foreigners in Egypt:
Members of this category are authorized to reside for 5 years may be renewed.
Foreigners who have been residing in the Arab Republic of Egypt for 15 years before the date of publication of Decree-Law No. 74 of 1952 have not ceased their residence until the date of application of this Law and have entered the country by legitimate means.
Temporary residence of foreigners in Egypt:
They are those who do not meet the above conditions.
Members of this category are granted a residence permit for a renewable period of up to one year. However, by a decision of the Minister of the Interior, a residence permit may be granted for up to 5 years renewable by the conditions and circumstances under which a decision is issued.
1. Foreigners’ tourism residence in Egypt:
Within one month of arrival, the person arriving in Egypt shall apply for a three-month stay (except for Syrians, which was six months) and shall apply for a renewal of residence thereafter.
Tourism residence has the following characteristics:
- It’s only a month to a year.
- A person cannot leave and return to Egypt using it.
- A person cannot enroll his children in school.
- A person cannot work on the fact that this residence is a tourist residence.
- A certified lease contract registered from the registration office, or a property ownership contract verified by judicial validity and enforcement.
- Up-to-date electricity bill.
- Passport copy.
- Personal photo.
2. Foreigners’ education residency in Egypt:
It is the easiest form of residence. Once enrolled in school or university, it is granted non-tourism residence for a renewable year, and this type of residence is given the right to travel and return but is not authorized to work.
Education residency has the following characteristics:
- Period of 3 months to one year.
- Holders have the right to travel and return.
- Holders can’t work.
- Holders may grant the residence to first-degree relatives.
- The origin of the school enrolment for the current academic year is sealed by the educational department or the Ministry of Higher Education.
- A certified lease contract registered from the registration office.
- Passport copy.
- Family register.
- A copy of the family register in the mother’s form.
- Personal photo.
3. Foreigners’ residency for work in Egypt:
A work permit may be issued to all foreigners for one year or less and may be issued for more than one year after the payment of the prescribed fee. A work permit is granted to those who have a work permit from the Labour Office and includes employees of companies and licensed factories in Egypt.
- Contract or work permit.
- Passport copy.
- Personal photo.
Second: Licensing of foreigners in temporary residences other than tourism, as follows:
- For 5 years renewable for those who own one or more properties in Egypt for at least USD 200,000.
- For 3 years renewable for those who own one or more properties in Egypt for at least USD 100,000.
- For one-year renewable for those who own one or more properties in Egypt for at least USD 50,000.
- For 3 years under a bank deposit of USD 100,000 or its equivalent in other foreign currencies.
- For one year under a bank deposit of USD 50,000 or its equivalent in other foreign currencies.
Third: a permit for temporary residence for five years may be renewed for foreigners in the following categories:
- The Egyptian who lost Egyptian nationality as a result of being authorized to naturalize with a foreign nationality while not retaining Egyptian nationality, as well as his minor children who were covered by this authorization.
- Children of an Egyptian mother.
- Children were granted Egyptian nationality by their parents.
- Children who have reached the age of majority shall be guaranteed by their mothers who are authorized to reside in private, regular, or five-year residence in their capacity in the event of the death of the father.
- Those over 60 years of age who have settled in the country for 10 years and have the means to live.
- Foreigners authorized to 5 years of residence under international conventions.
- Egyptian wives and widows.
- The wives of foreigners who are authorized to reside in normal residence.
- The wives and children of foreigners who are authorized to reside temporarily for 5 years in the previous cases.
Fourth, a permit for temporary residence for three years may be renewed for foreigners in the following categories:
- Foreign husbands of Egyptian women.
- Minor children who are authorized to reside in private or regular residence, as is their father in the event of his death.
- Children of the age of majority whose parents are authorized to reside in private, regular, or tripartite residence, provided that they have a means of subsistence.
- Male Palestinian children of majority age who are employees of the Governor-General’s Department of the Gaza Strip or pensioners who have completed their studies and are not employed in the country.
- Employees of the Government, public bodies, public sector companies, and the public business sector, who are licensed to work by the Ministry of Labour Force of the same duration.
- Palestinians employed by the Governor-General of the Gaza Strip and pensioners.
- Palestinians holding travel documents issued by the Egyptian authorities only who settled their status and residence in Egypt for the previous 10 years.
- Foreigners who receive a monthly pension from the National Pensions and Insurance Authority.
- Foreigners who inmates shelter for disabled and elderly persons.
- Refugees registered with the United Nations Office for Refugee Affairs.
- Political refugees.
- The widow of the licensed foreigner in a private or ordinary residence.
- Egyptian who lost her Egyptian nationality by marrying a foreigner and entering his nationality.
- Spouses and children of foreigners are exempt from residence restrictions or permits.
- Foreigners whose right to private or ordinary residence has fallen for any reason.
- Foreigners working at the Swiss Institute of Ancient Architectural and Archaeological Research in Egypt.
- Foreigners who are authorized to stay in tripartite residence under international conventions.
- Foreigners who are approved by the Minister of the Interior for tripartite residence.
- Wives and children of foreigners licensed to stay for three years in the previous cases.
To request the service, click on the number to contact us via WhatsApp